General Meeting – 18 December 2008

Greenspace Alliance of Canada’s Capital
Minutes of General Monthly Meeting of December 18, 2008

Champlain Field House, 149 Cowley Avenue

Members present: Cheryl Doran (chair), Amy Kempster, Christel Woodward, Janice Seline, Erwin Dreessen (note-taker), Barry George, Joseph Potvin.
Regrets: Sol Shuster, Chris Szpak, Mik Svilans

The meeting started at 7:29 p.m.

1. Welcome and Introductions

Several members provided seasonal cheer.

2. Adoption of the Agenda

Amy moved and Christel seconded adoption of the Agenda as amended.

3. Approval of Minutes of November 20, 2008

Erwin moved and Janice seconded adoption of the Minutes of November 20 as last amended by Sol, with one additional change.

4. Membership report

Janice provided a brief update on the state of the membership and reported a donation.

5. Treasurer’s Report

a) Amy moved and Janice seconded that John Corey be paid on invoice, $400.00.

b) Erwin moved and Barry seconded that, further to a motion of intent approved at the Board meeting of June 19, 2008, the Greenbelt Coalition of Canada’s Capital Region be provided with a contribution of $400.00.

c) Janice moved and Joseph seconded that Erwin be reimbursed for an expenditure of $122.31 related to media coverage of Leitrim (invoice supplied).

d) Janice read a resolution prepared by Desjardin. Amy moved and Barry seconded that Janice be added to the list of persons authorized to sign cheques.

e) A proposed contribution to the Champlain Park Community Association for use of the Fieldhouse was deferred to the next meeting.

6. Business arising from the Minutes of November 20, 2008

a) Leitrim Wetlands

Erwin provided an update on developments about Leitrim Wetland:

i) Supported by a letter from DFO, a permit for diversion of surface water that expired on November 30 was quickly extended. Albert Dugal has written to DFO requesting clarification and Ecojustice for the Alliance has sent in comments anyway.

ii) A new permit application for 90 days of pumping has been filed, to replace a permit that had expired on September 30. That was the permit for which we had sought leave to appeal but which we later agreed to have declared moot. The application was posted on the EBR web site and comments are due on January 11, 2009. The Permit would allow the digging of a deep trench that would start the development of “Stage 2 Phase 3″ – the area on the north side of the wetland, adjacent to Albion Road.

iii) The Divisional Court’s “Endorsement of Costs” was received on December 10. It allowed the City’s claim but reduced the developers’ to $25,000. On December 19, Ecojustice for the Alliance will file Leave to Appeal this costs award to the Ontario Court of Appeal. A media release in support of a motion by Councillors Chiarelli and Cullen was issued on December 16. The motion would prohibit the City going after community groups for litigation costs. It is to be considered by Corporate Services and Economic Development Committee on January 6, 2009.

Cheryl reported that MOE and MNR had sent a large number of questions to the developer’s consultant and that replies were received. She will distribute.

b) Joseph reported that an initial concept for the Chelsea development has been filed with the municipality and was discussed at a Common Grounds Community Advisory Committee meeting. He also reported that the Alliance is becoming known in the Chelsea area.

c) Joseph also noted the availability of a “Four Futures” report by Environment Canada that discusses 25-year scenarios (from 2026 looking back to 2001) on axes of weak/strong governance and compartmentalized/integrated approaches. The report collects some 100 contributions from across the country.

Action: Joseph will provide access to this document.

d) Development Charges Advisory Committee

Amy reported that the November 21 meeting was poorly attended and mainly dealt with the new population, household and employment projections. Date of the next meeting is uncertain.

e) Greenbelt Coalition

Cheryl noted that, following the NCC’s December 12 announcement of upcoming consultations on the Greenbelt Master Plan review, the Coalition was officially launched on December 16 with a media release, available on the Coalition’s new web site,[no longer up, but see here]. She also recommended participating in the NCC’s survey, which asks to share stories about people’s experience with the Greenbelt.

7. Discussion Items

a) Poets’ Pathway Grant application

Christel moved and Amy seconded approval of a letter of support for the Poets’ Pathway Committee’s application for a grant under the City’s Heritage program. The purpose of the grant is to make the project more visible in the community.

b) Official Plan subcommittee

Chris has presented the Alliance’s comments on the staff proposals for revisions to the Official Plan to both planning and Agricultural Committees. The material has been posted on the web site here.

c) Call for nominations for Director of Communications

The position remains open but Barry volunteered to continue coordinating participation in various fairs.

d) Committee Delegations

Directors agreed to participate in various committees as follows (agreement of absentees safely assumed):

Friends of Leitrim Wetland: Cheryl, Sol
Airport Master Plan: Cheryl, Sol
Greenbelt Coalition: Amy (Sol chairing)
Sport-Ecology Water Park: Joseph
Carp River Coalition: Erwin for now, Mik likely in the new year
Common Ground Community Advisory Committee: Joseph
Official Plan Committee: Chris, Amy
DC Advisory Committee: Amy
Poets’ Pathway Committee: Christel
NCC Urban Lands Advisory Committee: Cheryl, Amy

e) New Secondary Plan

Amy noted that the Westboro/Richmond Road Community Design Plan had recently been adopted as a chapter in Volume II of the Official Plan. The chapter notes that Rochester Field is still under appeal.

Action: Amy will inquire whether any appeals have been filed.

8. New Business

There was no new business.

9. Adjournment

Christel moved adjournment at 8:56 p.m.

Next meetings: January 15, 2009 and February 19, 2009