Please find below elements of the January 2014 Environmental Study Report for the Hope Side Road/Old Richmond Road (Terry Fox Drive to Highway 416) Class Environmental Assessment:
+ Appendix F – Landscape Assessment and Evaluation report (“Context Sensitive Design and Landscape Report”) – 4.2 MB, 16 pp.
The Notice of Completion was posted on January 30, 2014. Comments must reach the Minister of the Environment before March 3.
4 February 2014
Stony Swamp: Part II Order request, Media release
On March 2, the Greenspace Alliance filed a Part II Order request with the Ontario Minister of the Environment. In brief, our objections are as follows:
1. The terms of reference for this project were not subjected to public consultations.
2. Directing traffic headed for Highway 416 via Fallowfield Road is a far more benign option.
3. Should the Minister decide to allow the study’s preferred option, then far more comprehensive mitigation measures are required.
Our requested remedy is that the Minister:
1. Order the City to comply with Part II of the Act, under terms of reference that include a proper and comprehensive assessment of the option of widening Fallowfield Road. Specifically, the terms of reference should include a full assessment of the negative impact on Stony Swamp under the Old Richmond Road/West Hunt Club Road option and the feasibility of mitigation that would achieve “no net loss” of ecological functions.
2. In the alternative, should he agree to discard the Fallowfield option, order that the project be allowed on condition that:
a – a study be completed to his satisfaction which uses the cumulative effects methodology applied in the November 2012 “Joint Study to Assess Cumulative Effects of Transportation Infrastructures on the National Capital Greenbelt.”
b- based on that study, a comprehensive mitigation plan be developed and implemented against the adverse impact of all wildlife, in addition to mitigation against adverse impact on species at risk. Before finalizing the plan, it should be subjected to peer review and public consultation.
c- it estimate the impact on peat and carbon sink loss, air quality, including benzene concentrations, and greenhouse gas emissions and identify appropriate mitigation measures;
d- it not include “wet” culverts under Old Richmond Road.
2 March 2014
A media release was issued 4 March.