General Meeting – 27 October 2014


Greenspace Watch

General Meeting

October 27, 2014

Hintonburg Community Centre

1064 Wellington Street West

K1Y 2Y3

Members present:

Erwin Dreessen (chair and notetaker), Nicole DesRoches, Bruce Lindsay, Amy Steele, David McNicoll, Iola Price

Regrets: Sol Shuster, Juan Pedro Unger, Jason Kania, Judy Makin

The meeting commenced at 7:15 p.m.

1. Agenda

The agenda was adopted as circulated, except for the deletion of Membership report and the addition of two items under Other Business.

2. Administrative items

a. Minutes of September 22, 2014

Bruce moved, seconded by Nicole, to approve the Minutes of September 22 as circulated. Agreed.

b. Action updates

– We await news about our MEC grant application.

– Dan Paré has made a new display board that is more portable.

– Bounces of GA List postings appear to be finally behind us.

c. Appointment of a Secretary

Once again deferred. Erwin made our annual filing with Corporations Canada and also updated Board membership and the “registered office” address.

d. Treasurer’s report

– Nicole moved, seconded by Bruce, to repay Erwin $41.58 for printing related to the municipal election, $20.00 for the corporate filing fee and $1.32 for copies related to the Remer + Idone development, for a total of $62.90. Agreed.

– Bruce moved, seconded by Amy, to repay Dan Paré for costs related to the new display board, for a total of $118.70. Agreed.

3. Municipal election

a. Update, status and follow-up

– We received a total of 64 responses from candidates. While Jim Watson did not formally respond, his commitment at the Ecology Ottawa debate to bring in a site alteration by-law should be considered a major result of our efforts. Except for an article in Centretown News, we received no media coverage. We acquired a Twitter account but are still very much on a learning curve on how to use that tool to good effect.

– Ecology Ottawa has been asked for a tape of the September 24 debate so that a record can be created of the Mayor’s commitment.

– With one dissent, it was agreed to write to each elected official individually, with the content tailored to the response received where applicable.

b. Site alteration by-law research

The source data for Paul Renaud’s table of site alteration by-law provisions in 16 Ontario municipalities was not kept. By-laws that include provisions on vegetation removal will be needed to work with staff on any draft by-law that will come forward. Action: Erwin will write to Archie Campbell to see if F.U.N. could assist. Action: Iola is prepared to take on some. Action: Erwin will put a call out to the List.

4. NCC: Greenbelt + Urban lands “Management Recommendations” study

This March 2013 study by Genivar appears to have been undertaken in parallel but independently from the review of the Greenbelt Master Plan and the still ongoing development of the Urban Lands Master Plan. It is very detailed and needs to be scrutinized by as many people as possible. Although it is a public document, it is not on the NCC’s web site. Erwin provided Iola with a copy on CD. Action: Erwin will offer copies to List subscribers.

5. Wetlands: Working with Ken McRae

Erwin spoke briefly about three recent examples of work Ken McRae has been involved in or that he has signaled. No decision was taken on how to structure cooperation with Ken’s efforts, though Erwin will inquire further regarding any concerns about a Tomlinson application (EBR 012-2121) that has a November 23 deadline.

6. City of Ottawa Wildlife Construction Protocol

This is a heads-up for a draft that is expected this November.

7. NCC: Comment on governance

It was agreed that Erwin will write with a few suggestions for improved governance practices before the NCC’s Governance Committee meets on November 18.

8. Ontario Minister of MA&H Mandate letter: OMB reform

It was agreed that Erwin will write reminding the Minister of the suggestions we made last January in response to the Ministry’s questions about the role and practices of the Ontario Municipal Board, including the suggestion for broadening the application of the Consolidated Hearings Act.

9. Brief reports/updates

a. OPA 150 Appeal: Comparative CLE policy analysis

The Ottawa Eco-Talent Network is unable to find a student to perform the task, compromising the constructive role we could play as a Party to Sunset Lakes’ appeal of the country lot estate prohibition in OPA 150. Post-meeting note: A new possibility turned up, via Ottawa U, for work that could start in January.

b. KNL – Drainage Act item

The memo from Legal Services about the clarifications provided to public delegations at the September 4 ARAC meeting has now become available. Many questions remain unanswered.

c. Kanata North tree cutting

The next court date is November 27 for another pre-trial session.

d. Remer + Idone lands at Leitrim Wetland

Albert Dugal, Clarke Topp, Sol and Erwin are meeting with City and South Nation staff on October 29. Donna Dubreuil, Sol and Erwin are meeting with Regional Group on November 4.

e. FCA meeting of October 6 (Manotick)

– Iola, Bruce and Erwin attended. There was feedback about experience with the Ottawa Neighbourhood Study ( Besides ourselves, no other members reported on what they were doing related to the municipal election.

– The next FCA meeting is on November 5 in Rockcliffe Park.

10. Other business

a. Queen’s University students request responses to a survey about the John A. Macdonald Parkway. Erwin posted the request and documents to the List today.

b. David circulated a curriculum from the Daniel Pennock Democracy School based in Pennsylvania (

11. Adjournment

The meeting adjourned at 8:52 p.m.

The next meeting will be on November 24, 2014 starting at 7:15 p.m. at the Hintonburg CC.